Performancing Metrics

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cars and Drivers in Seoul

One of the first things I noticed in Seoul (yes, I know it was more than two weeks ago, but it has been a busy two weeks) was the way people drive in Seoul. Since then I have seen more differences and thought I would share them (for any potential tourists).

For starters, on our way into the city from the airport (in Incheon - it was about a 45 minute drive), it seemed as if anything goes when driving in this city of more than 10 million. I saw cars try to (and succeed) in switching lanes in front of our vehicle (a van) by turning literally one or two feet in front of us. Luckily, the driver of our vehicle (the school's VP) was paying attention and we did not die. I have also seen cars "sneak by" other cars to get into the turning lanes at red lights. It is also not uncommon for cars to run red lights if the way is clear.

Following the same idea, often we see cars not only parked on the sidewalk, but they drive there when they can. In Korea (so I'm told) the pedestrian does not have the right of way and if you get hit, it is your fault. Which kinda sucks cause many streets do not have sidewalks and there is not much room to get out of the way of buses. I have a feeling that when I do return to North America I will be much more aware of my surroundings.

Looking closely at cars in Korea, you will notice that most of them are either made by KIA or Hyundai (both Korean companies). I have yet to see a Ford (or even a Honda or Toyota for that matter). It would appear they do not like their foreign cars. On top of the different types of cars, there are very few large vehicles. There are mini-trucks and mini-buses, but not many SUVs (though they can be found). Motorbikes are present everywhere - especially the above mentioned sidewalks.

So my advice to anyone wanting to drive in Seoul is don't. Unless you are a super good driver and able to drive calmly without getting upset at getting cut off frequently, you are better off taking the subway or buses (the subject of a future post). No word on how the rest of the country is. I've only been in and around Seoul the last few weeks.

Here's hoping I don't get smoked by a bus in the next few days. Enjoy the pictures I took of cars parked in crazy places (unfortunately, I never had my camera out for the cars driving on the sidewalk). Keep in mind this was all on my walk to school on one day.


Parked on the Sidewalk

Also Parked on the Sidewalk

Parked in the crosswalk

No comments: