Performancing Metrics

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Getting a Visa (Part II)

It took a long time, but eventually I did get my Visa Issuance Number from Korea. The process has since changed (at least for me) since I last wrote about this. Once I got the number, it was much easier to bring the Visa Application Form (with said number written in the correct space - remember, don't leave anything blank, put "N/A" for anything that does not apply to you), a sealed transcript, a photocopy of your passport information page, your passport, a passport sized photo and $55 in a money order to the consulate myself.

So I got on the Go train and took off for the big city of Toronto (until I get to Seoul, I'll still refer to Toronto as a big city, but I'm sure living in a city of 10 million may change my perception of Ontario's largest city). If you're trying to get to the consulate in Toronto the directions are simple enough. Take the subway to St. Clair Station (the one at St. Clair and Young). When you get out of the subway you will probably be pretty disoriented. The first time, I started walking the wrong way. You want to head toward Yonge Street and keep going until you get to Avenue Rd and St. Clair. The consulate is on the northeast corner of that intersection (if you're really lazy or have never taken it, the streetcar goes from the station to the intersection - it's route 512).

Here is a picture of the consulate:


So far I have been here twice. My first visit was to drop off my documents. This was very quick. I talked to the nice lady and she gave me an appointment to come back for an interview - almost a week later. I had to fill out yet another form (answering many of the same questions I have repeatedly answered over the course of the last few months) for the interview.

When I came back, I found myself waiting in a room with between 10 and 20 others who were also their for E-2 visa interviews. We talked a little bit about what we had been going through the last little bit (the general consensus was that everyone dealt with people who didn't really know what the rules were). I waited a bit but the interview itself was super short and super easy. They asked me: a) my name, b) my birth date, c) my major, d) what age of students I would be teaching in Korea and e) what I knew about Korea. It took probably less than 2 minutes.

I have to wait a few more days to pick up my visa (I can check online to see if it's ready - but right now, that site is not working... this could be bad). So I will have to return to Toronto for a third time.

Keep in mind this is the process for Toronto. The Vancouver process was different (Alex may or may not share her story) and I imagine the Montreal and Ottawa processes would be different as well.

Not much more to do beyond packing now...

2 comments:

Super visa insurance canada said...

You’re so awesome! I don’t believe I’ve web page anything like that before. So amazing to witness somebody with original applying for grants this challenge. Really.. many thanks for starting this up.

Online Radio said...

You are an interesting mix. Such a combination is not common.Super Visa Insurance Canada