Performancing Metrics

Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Few Good Words for Alphabet Street

When I first got offered a job at Alphabet Street, I wanted to make sure I would make the right decision. I went online and tried to find out as much information as I could about the school. There was not much that I could find, though I did find that some people were not quite happy with the school. (I won't put the links, but if you really care you can search for them). There were enough positive responses to the negative comments I read, that I decided in favour of accepting the job offer.

I have been working at the school for just over five weeks now and I have been pleasantly surprised. If you are thinking about accepting a job offer here, this is what I can tell you:

One of the best things about the school is the effort that the administration puts into the running of the school. So much goes on at the school, but the staff works well together to get everything done and to keep everyone informed as best as they can. Another bonus is that there is no shortage of people who speak English and Korean. For the few staff members who do not speak English, there is always a Korean teacher around who can help translate. Though this can make learning Korean more difficult (more on learning Korean in a future post).

On the topic of the staff, the staff is super-friendly and super-supportive. Whenever I had a question, I could easily find someone who could give me an answer or who would help me find an answer. This goes for both the Korean and foreign (they call us Native teachers - I think because we're native speakers of English, even though we would never really consider ourselves Natives in the North American sense).

All of our housing and living arrangements have been carefully taken care of by someone. When we needed to go get a medical checkup for our Alien Registration Cards (again, that will be the topic of a future post), we were accompanied to the hospital by an staff member (Mr. Park - who has been so helpful, he probably deserves a post of his own). When another staff member needed to visit the American Embassy to figure out an issue with a visa extension, Mr. Park drove her.

Despite long days (I usually get in around 8 or 8:30am and leave around 7pm), there are many breaks and we are only on contract to work 110 hours every 20 days, which works out to a nice 5 and a half hours a day. Mind you, that's just hours in the classroom, but the work is much less than a teacher back home (as there is very little planning) and any work over 110 hours results in an increase is salary.

Having more than ten English teachers at the school is also helpful as there is always someone who is willing to show you the ropes in Seoul, or just to hang out with. The second week we were here, the Principal took a group of us to Costco in the school van to buy food. No doubt, the group at Alphabet Street - all of the staff included - has made my life much easier than it would have been.

Now to be honest, there are things about Alphabet Street that are not perfect, but the administration is listening to constructive criticism and from what I have heard from other staff members, changes have been made recently based upon that constructive feedback.

So, while there are many dissenting opinions, it is in my experience that Alphabet Street is a good place to work and you will more than likely enjoy your time at the job.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My husband and I worked at Alphabet Street in 2004-5. We had a wonderful experience and would work there again and again. Myungshil was wonderful and understanding. We always felt respected and appreciated! I am so glad someone else is enjoying the experience my husband and I did.

Have a wonderful time exploring Seoul!

Tracey & Dylan Meisner

mcorra8 said...

Hi. Just today I was informed that I have an interview with Alphabet Street within the next three days. I'm very excited and really enjoyed reading your blog. However I'm a little concerned about the hours. You said that you are at the school for about 220 hours every 20 days. I'm wondering how many extra hours over the 110 you are getting paid for. Do you have a choice or do you feel like you are obliged to stay that long? I guess I'm just concerned with spending all my time during the week at the school. Thanks for your help and hopefully I'll be teaching with you in a month.
michael
mcorra8@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

My wife and I taught at Alphabet Street for a year (2005-2006). It was a stressful year, I won't lie. But overall it was a positive experience. The work was hard, the hours were long, and we didn't always see eye-to-eye with the administration (Myungshil included!) but we left on a positive note with everyone. There are some aspects of Korean culture (especially business culture) that I probably should have researched *before* going...At any rate, the school is clean, well-run and we had our contract carried out. I wouldn't trade our year there for anything.

LoseTheShoes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.